|Northcliffe Golf Club was founded in 1921 on
land that was originally purchased by Sir Henry Norman Rae, MP for Shipley, and
a 9-hole course, was constructed. A year later, Harry Varden and James Braid
extended this into the present 18-hole course and by 1925 the membership had
grown to some 500, such was the demand for golf.
|| By deed of trust, the Norman Rae Playing Fields
Ltd., was formed, which ensured that the "townsfolk of limited means" would
continue to be able to use them for recreational purposes. The present lease
term commenced in 1999, is for 999 years.
The course has changed
little in its layout since that time, although, to this day we continue to
develop and improve it, to ensure that it is always kept to the highest
|Notable is the opening hole; a testing 'fairly
short Par 4' over a ravine to a green beyond the woods, dog-legged to the left,
which for the daring is a drive over the trees. The signature hole is
undoubtedly the 18th, which is a Par 3 into the same ravine
(typified by our club logo) - driving downwards from an elevated tee to a green
guarded by bunkers and a stream. This is one of the most scenic holes in
Yorkshire and a card wrecker if ever there was one!